Frequently Asked Questions

Vehicle hire FAQs answered

Before hiring we will need to see the card part of your driving licence as well as either a DVLA check code (which can be generated on the DVLA website) or your National Insurance number. This will alow us access to the DVLA database where details of driving entitlement and offences are now held (The DVLA are nolonger updating the paper counterpart driving licence). We also require another form of ID confirming address – utility bill, bank statement, council tax bill etc.
In some circumstances we may struggle to provide insurance for drivers with over nine points on their licence. If you are unsure please call the office and we will do what we can to arrange cover.

Yes. We cannot provide insurance cover for anyone younger than 21 or over the age of 75. However there are exceptions so please call for more detail. The insurance charge differs for drivers aged between 21 and 25 years.
For mini-bus hire drivers must be between 25 and 70 years of age.
For 7.5 tonne vehicles drivers must be over 23 years of age.

Yes. All our vehicles are hired full of fuel, customers are asked to return the vehicle full of fuel or alternatively we can fill it up on site and deduct the cost from the rental deposit.

We are open six days a week; there is no provision to return vehicles outside these hours.
Monday – Friday: 8am – 5.30pm
Saturday: 8am – 12 noon
Sunday: Closed

We can hire for anything from half a day to three years. Our ‘day rate’ covers a 24 hour period. E.g pick-up 8am Monday morning, return 8am Tuesday morning.

Drivers who passed their test before 1st January 1997 received automatic entitlement to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes.
Please call the office with your licence details if you are unsure you have the necessary entitlement.

Only if you are using the vehicle for trade or business use, no operators licence is required for domestic users e.g. house moves.
You need a goods vehicle operator’s licence to carry goods connected with any trade or business if you use a motor vehicle on a road with either:

  • a gross plated weight of more than 3.5 tonnes
  • an unladen weight of more than 1,525 kilograms

An operator’s licence is required for every journey that will be made in the vehicle – even if it is for a short period of time.
You also need a licence if you use – or intend to use – vehicle combinations, such as a lorry with a trailer.

  • you are its owner and driver
  • it is lawfully yours through hire, hire purchase or loan
  • the driver is your servant or agent
  • If you use a goods vehicle without an operator’s licence – when you should have one – your vehicle can be impounded by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

Please consult the VOSA website for more details –

Multiple drivers can be included on the rental agreement; an additonal driver charge is added to cover the additional insurance, the charge depends on vehicle group booked.

Yes. We can provide ratchet straps, sack trucks, rope and boxes. Please call the office to discuss your requirements.

Yes. Our vehicles can be taken out of the UK and insurance can be arranged for most European countries.
All European hire must be pre-booked as supplementary insurance and breakdown cover needs to be arranged.

Generally no, but it can apply in certain circumstances. Please call the office if you are planning a long journey.

Collection and delivery in the local area is free of charge depending on duration of hire. We are happy to collect and deliver further afi eld for a small charge.

Yes. We ask for a £250 deposit on all van hires and £500 for all 7.5 ton hires. This is returned on safe return of the vehicle.
Your deposit can be reduced to £100 if you chose to take out our Excess Protection insurance (vans and cars only).
This will insure you against any liability over and above £100. The charge is £14.99 per day and reduces with duration of hire. The deposit for a refrigerated van is £350.

Our insurance excess is £750. This is the customers maximum liability should the vehicle be damaged. Customers can reduce their excess by taking out our Excess Protection insurance. Please note the excess increases for drivers under the age of 25 and excess protection may not be applicable in some cases.

Yes. All our vehicles have 24 hour AA or RAC breakdown cover.